This combination of cabbage and pasta is a perfect way to make cabbage more exciting and pasta more healthy.
As most of you probably don’t know, I’m born and raised Croatian so this was just an ordinary side dish that my mum would make on a random weekday just to complement some meat. But I bet you thought it was some fancy side dish just by the name 🙂
Even though it’s nothing fancy, that’s the whole point. I love how simple this dish is but also packed with nutrients and pretty filling. All you need is three ingredients – loads of onion, cabbage, and pasta of your choice. I chose bows because it makes it more fun and cabbage can nicely stick to it.
You can have it on its own as it’s quite filling or you can serve it as a side dish. Up to you completely. Also, in case you decide to have it as a main dish, I would suggest adding some source of protein, like chickpeas or tofu. I usually have it with breaded tofu slices and mixed leaf salad.
Just to point out some cabbage health benefits:
- Packed with vitamin C
- Great source of vitamin K
- Helps with digestion and immunity
- Controls your blood sugar and cholesterol
- Cancer prevention
So without further ado, let’s start with the recipe.
Caramelised onion and cabbage pastaCourse: Lunch, dinnerDifficulty: Beginner
Easy, quick, filling and delicious side dish
2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
1 big yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium cabbage head
500ml of vegetable stock (low salt)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste (about 1 tbsp)
250g pasta of your choice
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat and heat up the oil.
- Add diced onion and garlic and saute for 5-7 mins or until slightly brown.
- Slice the cabbage thinly. (I used my food processor to speed up the process) but feel free to use a knife.
- When the onion and garlic are caramelised, add the cabbage.
- Add the stock, salt, pepper, and paprika. Mix well and cook covered for 20 min stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, put pasta to boil and cook by the instructions in a separate pot.
- Drain the cooked pasta and put aside until the cabbage is done.
- Add the pasta to the cabbage, season to taste if needed, add the nutritional yeast and combine well.
- Serve hot and enjoy!