These easy, vegan cauliflower and chickpeas tacos are a perfect weekday dinner or meal to-go.
I’m gonna ask a very silly question now but who doesn’t like tacos? Actually, don’t tell me. I don’t wanna know 😛
Tacos are superb. Amazing. Beautiful inside and out. They get the best out of you and they are a perfect friend. And very nutritious and filling.
Do not tell me I’m exaggerating because I always will when vegan tacos are the topic. Jokes aside, guys. These cauliflower and chickpeas tacos are an amazing go-to lunch or an amazing light dinner, especially when you top it up with red cabbage, mashed avocado, pico de gallo, crushed chillis, and whatever you fancy (or have in your fridge).
I am also a massive lover of homemade tortillas so you can also find the recipe down below for tortillas. Super easy, very much delicioso. (Still haven’t moved from lesson number 1 in Spanish but don’t judge, lockdown life made me do it).
Tacos were one of my first dishes I started to make when I went vegan. I would either make this filling with roasted cauliflower and chickpeas or red kidney and black beans in tomato sauce. My favourite part is the toppings. Especially because you can use so many different veggies – from baby spinach, red cabbage, pickles, bell peppers, then add some guac, vegan sour cream, hot sauce, pico de gallo..ohh, the possibilities are endless.
You know the drill now;
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable as well as broccoli, cabbage and kale.
It’s a great source of antioxidants and it is well-known for its anti-inflammatory effects that may boost immune health and reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
Cauliflower is rich in vitamins C and K, calcium, iron, potassium and magnesium.
Nutritional value (100g):
- Calories: 31 cal
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbs: 2.7g
- Fat: 0.8
Cauliflower and Chickpeas Tacos + Tortilla recipeCourse: Lunch, Dinner, Main
1 cauliflower head (chopped)
1 can of chickpeas (drained)
1 tbsp olive oil *
2 tbsp Cajun spice
a sprinkle of salt
2 cups of plain flour
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
Guacamole or sliced avocado
Pico de gallo
Vegan sour cream
A squeeze of lime or lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 220°C
- To a large bowl add the cauliflower and chickpeas, olive oil, Cajun spice and salt. Mix well until all well coated.
- Spread the cauliflower and chickpeas on the baking tray with a layered baking paper and pop it into the oven for about 30 min until slightly golden and tender. Stir occasionally.
- Now let’s prepare tortillas – I used a food processor just to speed it up but it’s not a necessity. To a large bowl, add the flour and salt, combine and add water and oil. Mix well before turning it onto a working surface, floured previously. Knead the dough until smooth. Feel free to add more water or flour in case it’s too dry or too sticky.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, roll each piece into a circle and cook in a pan over medium heat for a minute or 2 on each side.
- Now start assembling your tortillas. There is no right or wrong here so just wrap it all in and enjoy! 🙂
- * Instead of olive oil you can use a cooking spray oil to lightly coat the cauliflower and chickpeas once on a baking tray
What is your favourite tortilla filling?