Fluffy, delicious, healthy vegan protein pancakes recipe for a nutritious and tasty breakfast or a quick dessert.
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you decide to go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I always share the products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. Your support gives me an opportunity to run my blog full-time and keep providing more content. I really appreciate your help.
Happy Pancake day everyone!
What kind of a National Pancake day would it be without a pancake recipe?
As a savoury type, I prefer savoury breakfasts. (Don’t hate me, I can’t help myself).
But pancakes are the only type of sweet breakfast I will choose over and over again. Also, you can make them healthy or indulgent. Top them up with fresh fruit, nut butter, nuts, seeds, chocolate, maple syrup, even vegan bacon if you fancy. Literally, the options are endless.
Have you checked my blueberry pancake recipe yet?
So I decided to make a chocolate version of that recipe and also add a vegan protein powder. So before we begin, I want to talk about this protein powder and tell you a bit more about it.
VEGAN PROTEIN POWDER
The protein powder I’m using in this recipe is, hands down, THE best vegan protein powder I tried since going vegan. I’m being as transparent as possible and just sharing my genuine opinion.
I tried so many and was more often disappointed than not. If you ever tried a vegan protein powder, you know how chalky, overly sweet, or tasteless it could be.
Besides the amazing taste (which is hard to get in a vegan protein powder) the company cares equally for the planet as for the people. Their packaging is sustainable, they donate their profit to the African Wildlife Foundation and plant trees with every purchase.
Okay, read that again now just to make sure you got that right. How incredible is that?
I’m so pleased to be sharing this with you. It feels so good to be able to find a brand that genuinely has good quality products but also doesn’t focus (only) on profit.
You can read more about it HERE.
WHAT IS GAIAMEAL?
To tell you a bit more about the product itself – It is a superfood drink that has plant-based protein sources but also all the beautiful ingredients such as Spirulina, Kale, Flaxseeds, Acai berries, Goji berries, Green tea extract, etc.
Even though I don’t encourage swapping real food with shakes and will always recommend eating whole food, the shake can be used as a meal replacement. I do understand that sometimes we don’t have time in the morning to prepare our breakfast. Or you are simply too tired to cook dinner in the evening. So here comes this nutritious protein shake.
I personally prefer using it after my workout or to boost my protein intake but it’s good to know your options.
Now, when I shared more about the product I’ve been obsessed with lately, let’s see the key ingredients for today’s vegan chocolate protein pancakes;
- Protein powder – Protein powder is what makes these pancakes protein pancakes. As mentioned, I’m using dark cocoa-flavoured GaiaMeal vegan protein, but feel free to use any protein powder you have on hand. As long as it’s chocolate flavoured.
- Oat flour + almond flour – To make it more healthy than standard white flour pancakes, I decided to use a mix of oat flour and almond flour. There is no need to get store-bought oat flour if you have a blender at home. Just blend a cup of oats and turn it into flour, TIP: I always blend some extra and store it in a separate container so I have it on hand. Also, oat flour creates the creamiest oatmeals ever 🙂
- Cocoa powder – Cocoa powder will give that extra chocolaty flavour to your delicious pancakes.
Without further ado, let’s bake!
Vegan Chocolate Protein PancakesCourse: Breakfast, Dessert, Healthy, Recipes, SweetCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Fluffy, delicious, healthy vegan protein pancakes for a nutritious and tasty breakfast or a quick dessert.
1 cup oat flour (blend oats to make oat flour)
1/4 cup almond flour (see notes if you don’t have almond flour)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 scoop GaiaMeal protein powder (dark cocoa)
1 cup plant based milk (add more if needed)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp maple syrup
a pinch of salt
- Add the milk and the apple cider vinegar to a bowl, mix and set aside to form buttermilk. (Let it sit for 10-15min or until you notice the curdled bits)
- Whilst waiting for that, mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- When your ‘buttermilk’ is ready, combine the wet and dry mixtures.
- Heat a non stick frying pan and ladle about 1/4 cup of the batter and cook until bubbles start to form.
- Flip the pancake and cook for another minute.
Repeat the steps until you finish the batter (it serves 6 pancakes)
- Top it up with fresh fruit, more maple syrup, nut butters, more chocolate, plant based yoghurt, quinoa puffs, seeds etc.
- Almond flour – in case you don’t have almond flour on hand, use 1 1/4 cup of oat flour only
You might also like:
- Vegan Asparagus and Tomato Pasta – 10-minute meals
- The Best Loaded Fries – Vegan Nacho style
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Recipe – Sweet and Sour
- Vegan No-Beef Mushroom Stew Recipe
- Vegan Chocolate Protein Pancakes Recipe