Fluffy, indulgent, soft, mouthwatering, chocolaty vegan Lamingtons will be gone within minutes.
I am so bloody proud of making these vegan lamingtons because they are literally the dream. The reason to be proud is mostly that you’re not able to taste the difference between the vegan and non-vegan version of lamingtons.
Lamingtons or so-called Čupavci are very popular in Croatia and other Eastern-European countries. They most certainly mark your childhood. Every birthday party, a wedding, or a simple family gathering, you can find them on the table. Christmas holidays are not excluded so in case you are looking to fill your Christmas table with another dessert, these are perfect.
Have you tried this Mulled wine recipe?
The key ingredients for vegan lamingtons are:
- Dark chocolate – I’ve seen versions with cocoa powder but I decided to use dark chocolate and the recipe turned out great. Also, dark chocolate gives that perfect sweetness, so there is no need to add extra sugar to the sauce.
- Desiccated coconut – coconut is the reason why we call them Čupavci in Croatia as it translates to ‘fluffy.’ Coconut is responsible for the fluffy look. You are free to use shredded coconut in case you don’t have desiccated.
I cannot wait to share the recipe with you so without further ado, let’s bake!
Vegan Lamingtons – Chocolate Coconut SquaresCourse: Dessert
Bake on 180° // Baking tray 7 inch x 11 inch
1 3/4 cups + 2 tbsp white flour (300g)
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour (100g)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup caster sugar (super-fine) (100g)
50 ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate sauce
300g dark chocolate
200ml plant based milk or water
50ml vegetable oil
- Coconut topping
200g desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Into a large mixing bowl sift the flour, add the baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Into a separate bowl mix sugar and oil with an electric hand mixer (or spatula) until sugar starts ‘melting’. After a minute, add water and give it a stir.
- If you are using electric mixer, lower the speed and start adding the flour mixture slowly. Add it in three additions. Mix until well incorporated.
- Now spread the mixture into a baking pan, previously lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 20-25min or until a toothpick inserted in the cake just comes out clean.
- Once baked, let the cake cool down for about 10 minutes on the wire rack before slicing. In the meantime, start preparing your chocolate sauce.
- Chocolate sauce
- Combine the chocolate, plant-based milk and oil into a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture turns into a pouring consistency.
- Place the desiccated coconut onto a large plate.
- Slice the cake into equal squares, you should get 30-32 pieces.
- Taking a square by square, pour the chocolate sauce over with a spoon. If you dip it into the sauce, it could fall apart.
- Once covered in chocolate, roll it into the coconut until completely covered.
- Place it on a plate or wire rack.
- Enjoy! 🙂
- Storing: Store in an airtight container for several days.
You might also like:
- Vegan Asparagus and Tomato Pasta – 10-minute meals
- The Best Loaded Fries – Vegan Nacho style
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Recipe – Sweet and Sour
- Vegan No-Beef Mushroom Stew Recipe
- Vegan Chocolate Protein Pancakes Recipe